Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Almond Latte Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache

It's times like these that I wish I could have my cake and eat it too.  These were almost too pretty to eat.  Almost....key word.  

These delightful cupcakes would be perfect to give to your loved one this Valentine's Day if you are looking for something sweet and decorated with hearts.  These were definitely one of those "I've got a hankering for something sweet...what can I make with the ingredients I have on hand..." kind of creations.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually used a vanilla cake mix for the base and just doctored it up a bit.  I know...I know...that was naughty.  But again - I had it on hand and it had to be used. :)  Needless to say - it certainly didn't taste like a box mix once I was done with it - these were melt in your mouth delicious!  The ganache adds so much with its creamy chocolaty goodness...I could eat tubfuls of ganache.  Hope you enjoy :)

Almond Latte Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache


For cupcakes:

Ingredients
1 box vanilla cake mix (I cringe as I type that...if you prefer homemade, which normally I do - you can use any vanilla cupcake recipe such as this)
2 TBS. instant coffee (dissolved in a little water)
1 tsp. almond extract

Directions
Make vanilla cupcakes and add coffee and almond extract - bake as directed.

For ganache:


Ingredients
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate squares, chopped into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp almond extract (optional)

Directions
Place chocolate pieces in a large bowl. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour cream over chocolate and stir until completely mixed and glossy. Allow ganache to cool before pouring over cupcakes as a glaze. If desired, melt white chocolate and create small dots on top of the ganache covered cupcake – then, using a toothpick, run a line through the dots as if to connect them – creating heart shapes.  :)  Enjoy! 

No comments: