Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chicken Apple & Gouda Sausage with Alfredo Pasta


I'm getting spoiled....I'm borrowing my sister's camera.  I'm still learning how to use it...so forgive me for my poor composition and imperfect settings.  Plus, I still don't have a good editing program such as Photoshop - so the pictures don't look that great - but I can tell a difference between these and photos taken with my point & shoot!  Long story short, I think I've fallen in love.  All I want to do is practice with it!  I'm trying to save my pennies for a Canon dSLR - what type...I'm not sure yet.  At this point I'd take anything...but I sure am swooning over my sister's 50D.  
We had friend's visit us over the weekend and I made this pasta for dinner.  It was quick and easy - perfect for a dinner party when I didn't want to spend all my time in the kitchen, but still delicious.  

P.S. spring is in the air...I can't wait for more sunshine. 

Chicken, Apple & Gouda Sausage with Alfredo Pasta
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
1 lb. Penne Pasta (or any shape)
2 Tbs. olive oil
8 oz. sausage, sliced (I used Hillshire Farm Gourmet Creations - Chicken Apple with Gouda)
1/2 large green pepper, sliced 
1/2 large red pepper, sliced
2 oz. organic white mushrooms, sliced (about 2-3 mushrooms) 
1/2 small white onion, chopped

Directions:
Cook pasta according to directions.  Drain and set aside.  

Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat.  Saute mushrooms until browned.  (Be careful not to crowd, or they won't brown!)  Add sausage, onion, and peppers and cook until heated through and slightly browned - about 6-7 minutes.  Meanwhile, make the Alfredo sauce below. 

For the Alfredo Sauce: 

3 tablespoons  butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
garlic cloves, minced
2 cups heavy cream
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¾ cup mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Melt butter in medium saucepan with olive oil over medium/low heat.  Add the garlic, cream, pepper and bring mixture to a simmer.  Stir often.  Add the Parmesan cheese and simmer sauce for 8-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened and is smooth.  When sauce has thickened, add the Mozzarella cheese and stir until smooth. Stir frequently.  Add sauce to pan with sausage and veggie pan.  Stir well and simmer for 1-2 minutes.  Serve over pasta and top with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.  Enjoy! 

No comments: