Monday, April 30, 2012

Chocolate Filled Oatmeal Bars


Usually I know something is good when my husband doesn't want me to share it.  He did not want me to bring these treats to work to share with my co-workers.  I did anyway...since we had a whole pan of them.  

These are actually a family favorite and I got the recipe from my mother-in-law, but due to a lack of certain ingredients and a change in my husband's diet - I have tweaked the recipe.  It still turned out delicious just like tried and true original - AND this version is actually healthier. :) 
 Chocolate Filled Oatmeal Bars

Crust Ingredients:

3/4 cup vegan butter (I use the Earth Balance brand which is vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, and made with all natural non-hydrogenated oils - you could also use regular butter or margarine)
1 cup Brown Sugar 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups quick oatmeal

Filling Ingredients: 
2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped semi-sweet baking chocolate (or chocolate chips) 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350F. Cream vegan butter (or regular), sugar, and salt.  Add flour and oatmeal.  Reserve about a cup of the crust in a small bowl and set aside.  Press the remaining crust into a 9x13 inch pan.  Heat chopped baking chocolate in a small pan on the stove.  As chocolate melts, mix together remaining filling ingredients.  Add the filling ingredients to the melted chocolate and mix well.  Spread filling over crust in pan.  Sprinkle with reserved crust crumbs.  Bake for 28-30 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.  

Enjoy! 



No comments: