Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Spiced Butternut Squash Soup


The air is crisp now.  They say there will be frost tomorrow.  I don't know if I'm ready for winter, but I do love fall...so I'm going to try to enjoy it while I can.  Savory soups and lots of pumpkin related recipes are ahead...

Spiced Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
3 pounds (1 large) butternut squash, halved and seeded and peeled
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sherry wine
1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)

Directions

Cut squash into 1-inch chunks. In large pot melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add squash and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until squash is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Use an immersion hand blender to puree the soup, or transfer to a blender or food processor in batches, and puree until smooth. Return to the pot.

Season the soup with cayenne pepper, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, then stir in the sherry and milk. Heat through, but do not boil. Ladle into bowls and serve.  Depending on how “spicy” you like it, feel free to add more of the spices and salt and pepper after tasting it – I know I did! :)

No comments: