Friday, March 25, 2011

A day off, part 1: Spinach Mushroom Quiche

A day off is a great thing. A day full of cooking is even greater. Some days I just have more ambition than others. Today was one of those days. On top of cooking all day, I got in a work out, ran errands, and did some sewing. That is more than I do in a typical week! haha :)

So, let's start with breakfast: (first, I made muffins...not pictured).

Then brunch/lunch: Spinach Mushroom Quiche
First, I made the crust...adapted from the Food Network recipe for Flaky Butter Crust
I used parchment paper and dry split peas to use as "weights" for blind-baking the crust. Don't worry - the split peas did not go into the Quiche :)

Finished product!

Ingredients:

1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 fresh eggs, beaten
1/2 cup soy milk (or regular milk or 1/2 & 1/2)
1 cup Greek yogurt (Ryan isn't a huge fan of Greek yogurt so I might leave this out next time, but I just wanted to try it)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 cup packed, chopped fresh spinach
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Saute the onion and mushrooms in the olive oil in a medium skillet until tender. Set aside to cool.

Combine the eggs, half and half, sour cream, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Fold in the spinach, cheese, and mushrooms. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a a fork inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.


No comments: