Monday, March 21, 2011

Vegan Blueberry Muffins + a side of bacon = a well balanced breakfast?

On Saturday morning I was so excited to have the day off and make a good breakfast since I had the time. Well, I had the time...but I realized I had no eggs. Eggs seem to be necessary for so many great breakfast dishes...but I didn't want to run to the store, so I decided to use whatever I had on hand. I found a recipe on an egg-less cooking site for vegan blueberry muffins, but since I'm not actually vegan....of course I served bacon on the side, along with fresh mango. Delicious and nutritious. For the most part... :)


Vegan Blueberry Muffins

All Purpose Flour - 2 cups (I used one cup whole wheat, one cup regular)

Baking Soda - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons

Salt - 1/2 teaspoon

Sugar - 1 cup

Soy Milk - 1 cup

Canola Oil -1/3 cup

Almond Extract - 1 teaspoon

Apple Cider Vinegar - 1 tablespoon

Fresh Blueberries - 1 - 1 1/2 cups

Preheat the oven to 375F. Line muffin tin with paper baking cups.

In a medium bowl, combine together flour, baking soda, salt.

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, milk, oil, extract, and vinegar. Mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stir until just combined. Don’t over stir. Gently fold in the berries using a rubber spatula. Fill the muffin tins about 2/3rds full. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. After that remove the muffins from the tins and cool on a wire rack.

Recipe slightly adapted from: Eggless cooking

No comments: