Monday, April 11, 2011

Chicken Carbonara


This is comfort food.  I've never made Chicken Carbonara before, and in fact I don't know that I've ever even had Chicken Carbonara before...but I know my sister loves it, and I had bacon on hand...so it sounded like a good idea!  And in fact, it was quite delicious.  I'm just glad I have leftovers so that I can enjoy it again tomorrow :)

I looked up about 5 or 6 different recipes and they were all different, and they all called for ingredients that I didn't have, or didn't call for ingredients that I wanted to add.   So here is my version....

Chicken Carbonara 
Total Prep & Cooking Time: 45-55minutes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients
2 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Chicken Breasts
8-10 ounces spaghetti
3 large garlic cloves
8 asparugus spears
2 Tbs butter
5 mushrooms
5 strips bacon
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup skim milk (most recipes call for heavy cream, but I didn't have any on hand.  It still turned out nice & creamy and it cuts back on the fat & calories!)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 egg yolks
Freshly ground salt & pepper

Directions
Heat oil, add garlic and chicken breasts and cook until chicken is no longer pink.  Meanwhile, cook spaghetti noodles for 10 minutes (or al dente).  Add asparagus to the boiling spaghetti for the last two minutes of cooking time.  Drain noodles and asparagus and set aside.  While spaghetti and chicken is cooking, melt butter in large pan and brown the mushrooms.  Once brown, remove mushrooms from pan.  In the same pan, cook the bacon.  Once the bacon is cooked, remove from pan but leave the bacon grease in the pan and cook the onion until tender.  Add chicken.  Whisk together basil, parsley, milk, cheese, and egg yolks.  Add noodles, asparagus, and mushrooms to pan with chicken and onions.  Add the milk, herb and cheese mixture to the noodles and mix well.  Heat thoroughly.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Chop bacon and crumble over pasta when served, or stir the bacon into the dish and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

daddy-beamingheart said...

I see my calling now...I need to move to closer to this girl in hopes of getting invited over for some of this delicious food!!
Love, Your Daddy