Red Quinoa Salad with Mint & Shallot Vinaigrette
§ 1 cup diced cucumbers
§ 1/4 cup chopped parsley
§ 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, or even more to your specific taste
§ 3 large shallots, minced
§ 3 medium garlic cloves, crushed or minced and crushed w/ side of knife
§ 4 Tablespoons olive or grape seed oil
§ 2 teaspoons sugar
§ 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
§ 1 teaspoon sesame oil
§ 1/4 teaspoon salt
§ 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
§ 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
§ fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Cook 1 cup of red quinoa according to package instructions. You will know when it is done because the "curly germ" will appear. Allow to cool.
2. In sauce pan over medium-low heat add only 2 tablespoons of oil and cook shallots and garlic until a light golden brown or until fragrant. Immediately remove from heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, vinegar, lemon juice and cracked black pepper. Stir till sugar dissolves and all ingredients are mixed together. Put aside to marinade further while you prepare vegetables and herbs.
3. Dice cucumbers and mince parsley (or cilantro) and mint.
4. After quinoa has completely cooled, toss in cucumbers, chopped herbs and shallot dressing. Eat immediately or chill in refrigerator. Before eating, toss everything in bowl again before serving.
5. For a warm red quinoa dish, toss cucumbers and herbs with warm quinoa. Heat up dressing in sauce pan till warm and toss with quinoa. Serve immediately.
6. Makes about 4 cups of cooked quinoa. Serves 4-6.
Source: adapted from White on Rice Couple