Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Queso Blanco Dip

It's true.  I'm a cheesehead. 

I love cheese.  I love anything with cheese.  I love cheese by itself, or as a dip, or as a curd, or with my apple pie.  My dad was a cheesemaker.  My husband's dad works in the cheese industry.  And of course, the thing that makes me a cheesehead above all is...I love the Packers!

Unfortunately we lost our first game of the season this past week, consequently ending our undefeated streak.  And of course it happened on the week that we had a big Packer party at our friends house, and I actually sat down to watch the entire game (unlike most weeks where I'm going in and out of the room).  Big time bummer.  But oh well...at least we had a lot of great food...and of course cheese!  I made this queso dip which was a hit!  I made a double batch which made a TON, but it's already gone. :)  It's a great party food or late night snack!  


Queso Blanco Dip
Makes 2 Cups (I doubled this recipe for the party and it was more than enough!)

INGREDIENTS
1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
12 oz. white American cheese, shredded
4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, shredded
¼-2/3 cup milk  
1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
2 tbsp. green onion, chopped and some saved for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and jalapeño to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add both of the shredded cheeses and ¼ cup of the milk. Whisk or stir until completely melted. Mix in the tomato and green onion, and add additional milk gradually as necessary to achieve desired consistency (I added in quite a bit of milk - I just kept adding a 1/2 cup or so at a time, but again - I had doubled the recipe so it needed a lot more milk). Transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.  You can also put it in a small crock pot to keep it warm at a party.  It microwaves really nicely as well for leftovers the next day!  

Source: adapted from Annie's Eats 

No comments: