Friday, October 04, 2013

Roasted Chicken Stock


I thought it was appropriate to post my go-to chicken stock recipe after the whole roasted chicken recipe I posted previously because they go hand in hand.  You can use the bones from the roasted chicken and turn it into a savory stock!  I love this chicken stock recipe.  I like it because it is so easy.  Throw onions with the skin on into a pot instead of having to peel them?  Yes, please.  

I also like this recipe because it is healthier than store bought stock.  I like the fact that I know exactly what goes in my chicken stock rather than buying those weird little dried cubes or other high sodium chicken broths. 

Note to self: don’t ever throw out chicken bones!  Whether you are making a homemade roast chicken or if you buy a rotisserie chicken from the store – save the bones for this stock and you won’t be sorry.  I’m I don’t have time to make this stock right after roasting a whole chicken, I simply put the bones in a plastic Ziploc bag and put it in the freezer until I’m ready to make the stock.  I also then freeze the stock after I make it in 2 cup or 4 cup portions and then just pull it out & thaw to put in soups or sauces. 

Roasted Chicken Stock

Ingredients
Bones from a 4-5 pound roasted chicken, homemade or store-bought
2 medium-size onions cut in half, skin on
 Medium carrots, peeled and chopped into quarters
6 pieces of celery, tops on, cut in quarters
½ bunch of Italian parsley, rinsed
3 garlic cloves, skin on, smashed
1 tablespoon salt
4 slices fresh lemon
6-8 black peppercorns, whole
3 quarts water

Directions
Remove the meat from the bones of the roasted chicken (I save the bones after making and eating the whole roasted chicken recipe here). 

In a large stockpot combine the chicken bones, onions, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, salt, lemon slices, and peppercorns.  Add 3 quarts of water.  On high heat bring the soup to a boil; then turn the heat down to a gentle simmer.  Cover the pot and simmer for 1 hour. 

Pour the soup through a colander into a large pot to separate the broth from the bones and vegetables; discard the bones and vegetables.  If you are going to put the stock in the fridge instead of using it right away, make sure you cool it to room temperature before you do.  Pour the cooled stock into a container, cover, and refrigerate.  It will last for a week in the fridge and up to 4 months in the freezer. 

Recipe adapted from Big Bowl of Love

No comments: