Friday, June 10, 2011

Pot Stickers with Chives & Soy Ginger Sauce


Pot stickers are a relatively new discovery for me - I tried them for the first time about a year ago, and now I crave them all the time!  I've made homemade egg rolls a couple times before, but I wanted to try my hand at homemade pot stickers for a change.  If you saw my previous post, you know that I am also growing some herbs right now - including chives, which I used in this recipe.  


Pot Stickers with Chives & Soy Ginger Sauce 
Makes about a dozen
1/4 pound ground beef (or pork - I used beef because we had it on hand) 
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sherry wine
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
Pot sticker or Wonton wrappers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
In a bowl, combine, beef, chives, soy sauce, wine, ginger, and sesame oil. 
Place a heaping teaspoon of beef mixture in center of pot sticker wrapper. 

Lightly wetting the edges of the wrapper, fold over and press to seal. Repeat until all the filling has been used.
Boil a large pot of water and add 1 tablespoon of oil. In two batches cook dumplings until cooked through and rise to the top, about 4 – 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. In a large nonstick skillet (they are called pot stickers for a reason - use nonstick so they don't actually stick to the pot!), heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. In two batches cook until browned, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Serve with Soy-ginger sauce.
Soy Ginger Sauce
In a bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon ginger powder, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil. Garnish with chopped chives.


Source: adapted from The Red Spoon

1 comment:

Jodi said...

YUM. I love potstickers!! And those look incredible. I might just have to try making them (since they would be popular with my whole family). *Sigh* That's a lot of potstickers I will have to make... :)