Sunday, July 10, 2011

Basil, Mint & Garlic Scape Pesto

Thanks to friends, family, and fresh herbs...I was able to make this delicious pesto!  My mom & family friend supplied the potted mint plants for my birthday, my co-worker supplied the garlic scapes from her garden, and I used some of the basil I am growing as well.  It felt good to know that I didn't have to actually go to the store for any of the herbs I used! :)  Plus, I love pesto...so really, you can't go wrong with this.  I even made enough to freeze some for a later date.  


Basil, Mint & Garlic Scape Pesto 
1/2 c. basil
1/2 c. mint (I used spearmint, peppermint, & citrus mint) 
1 c. garlic scapes
2 TBS. pine nuts
1 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper 
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated



Directions:
Blend the scapes, mint, basil, pine nuts, salt, and pepper in a food processor.  Process, adding the oil a bit at a time, until desired consistency.  Stir in Parmesan cheese.  Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.  Makes about 1 1/2 c. pesto.


No comments: