Sunday, August 28, 2011

Classic Bruschetta on Ciabatta


This weekend was a wonderful end to the month of August - although I'm sad to see it go.  Even though I had to work on Saturday, I was able to spend time with friends and family, drink wine on the porch, go for a bike ride, and get some good thrifty finds at garage sales.  We have been lucky enough to get a lot of free, fresh garden vegetables from family and I had to find a way to use the pile of tomatoes I recently acquired!  What  better way to celebrate a beautiful weekend than with one of my favorite things - bruschetta! (and what a good use of tomatoes!)

Also, as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received free Crisco olive oil.  They sent me Extra Virgin, Pure Olive Oil, and Light Olive Oil.  I am excited to use all of them - but for this recipe I used the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.   


Classic Bruschetta on Ciabatta 


Ingredients:
2 large ripe garden tomatoes
1/2 large red onion
4-5 cloves garlic, crushed
2-3 Tbs Crisco extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch fresh basil (about 1/2 cup chopped)
Salt & Pepper
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Multi-grain ciabatta

Chop tomatoes, onion, and combine with crushed garlic cloves, oil, and basil.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Meanwhile, place ciabatta slices on a cookie sheet and brush top and bottom with olive oil.  Place in oven to broil - 3-5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.  Remove from oven and sprinkle ciabatta slices with shredded mozzarella cheese (place back in oven for one minute if you would like the cheese to melt a little more). Top with tomato mixture and serve immediately.  Enjoy :)

No comments: