Friday, September 09, 2011

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica...Pasta.

If any of you are wondering about my title of this post - it is a quote from "The Office."  Want to watch the scene?  Here's a tiny clip :)   


I never really liked beets...in fact, as a child I despised them and dreaded the nights my mom pulled them from the garden to make for dinner.  I'm still on the fence about them, but this recipe may have won me over.  If I'm going to eat beets - this is the way I want to eat them!  They blend really well with this pasta and I love the vibrant color the beets gave the bow ties.  They were just regular whole grain bow ties before, isn't that amazing? The beets came from Ryan's grandparent's garden and they were kind enough to share their bounty with us! 


Pasta with Beets, Walnuts and Goat Cheese

1 pound of whole wheat bow ties (or any pasta)
2 T olive oil
1/2 large red onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic
2 lbs of beets, peeled and grated
1 c. water
12 oz goat cheese, crumbled
3 T fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper & Sea salt
3/4  cup of toasted walnuts.
Cook pasta and put in to a large bowl.  In large pan cook garlic and onion until soft, about 5 min.  Add beets and cook 10 minutes. Add 1 cup water, and goat cheese; cook and stir until cheese softens into sauce. Add lemon juice, then salt and pepper to taste.

Add to pasta and toss and serve.  Top each serving with toasted walnuts.  Serve with garlic toast.



Source: adapted from not without salt 

1 comment:

Jodi said...

favorite Office scene ever. :)