Sunday, June 02, 2013

Strawberry Dutch Pancakes


Growing up, when my mom would wake me up and ask me what I wanted for breakfast, my most common response was "fluffy pancakes!"  You may think that I was referencing a "fluffy" version of the traditional pancakes that you slather with butter and maple syrup...but that is not the case.  Fluffy may have been a poor adjective to use on my part, but as a child I apparently thought "fluffy" was the best word to describe "Dutch Pancakes."

These are incredibly easy to make and a fun alternative to the traditional pancake.  Powdered sugar has always been my one and only topping of choice for these, but this time I added some chopped strawberries which I highly recommend doing!


I also wanted to try out my new Strawberry Huller from OXO - which I have to say...I am in love with. 

It is such a simple tool but it is so effective!  I am the type of person that doesn't like to have any sign of the stem on my strawberry before I eat it, so for years I wasted so much of the strawberry fruit goodness by cutting off too much of the strawberry with a knife.      
This handy dandy tool makes it easy to remove the stem while preserving all the good fruit!
Voila! 

Strawberry Dutch Pancakes
Serves 2 (makes 2 large pancakes)

Ingredients
1/2 cup whole wheat (or all purpose) flour
2 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk (or your choice of milk)
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chopped strawberries
1 TBS. sugar in the raw

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix ingredients with wire whip. Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour into 2 pie pans (glass works best), dividing butter evenly.  Pour batter into center of pan.  Bake approximately 18-20 minutes.  Chop the strawberries and mix with raw sugar.  Top the pancakes with powdered sugar and strawberries.

No comments: