Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Maple Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie



Pies scare me a little bit. 


Maybe "scare" is the wrong word - but they definitely seem "touchy" and I'm not super confident that they will always turn out.  Is the crust done?  Overdone? Underdone?  Will I cut into it and will it be complete mush?  With the filling run out all over the place?  So many questions when you make a pie!! I just don't feel that I've mastered the art of pie.  Every attempt is a gamble.  


Then I go and make a pecan pie (my husband's favorite)...and I'm thinking it turned out great.  But I should have known that my husband would consider the addition of chocolate to pecan pie "ruining it."  Whoops.  I think the chocolate was a delicious addition - but if you share my husband's feelings about pecan pie - feel free to omit it. :) 


It didn't stop him from eating half of it...so it couldn't have been that bad, right? :) 

How do you feel about making pies?  Are you a pro?  Feel free to share your tips with me!


Maple Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie
Makes one 9”pie

For the crust, combine the following and press into a 9 inch pie dish:

1 1/4 C graham cracker crumbs
1/4 C butter, melted
Add to the bottom of the crust:
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
2 C whole, raw, unsalted pecans

For the pie filling, mix together:

1/2 C butter, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 C light brown sugar, packed
½ cup sugar in the raw
½ cup pure maple syrup
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons Maple Bourbon (or regular bourbon – or if you’re not into adding alcohol, use vanilla)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Pour the egg and sugar mix over the nuts and chocolate in the prepared pan.

Place the pie dish on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until it is puffed and golden, still slightly jiggly but cooked through.

Allow to cool (may need to put in the fridge for a while) to set fully before slicing and serving.

Recipe adapted from Feast for all Seasons 

No comments: