Friday, April 05, 2013

Caramelized Chicken with Lemon Rice


If you know me well, you know that I love rice.  I've always loved rice.  Growing up, I would eat rice for lunch on a daily basis (if my mom let me).  I still would be perfectly happy if rice was an ingredient in every meal...but since childhood I have expanded my meal options. However, I haven't stopped making rice a weekly staple food - whether it is part of a stir fry, a southwestern burrito bowl, a casserole, etc.  This lemon rice recipe was handed down to me from my mom (I tweaked it to make it a little healthier by reducing the amount of butter).  She used to make this at home and I fell in love with the distinct flavor of the turmeric and lemon with the subtle addition of mustard seed.  This is a very easy way to "dress up" your rice and impress your dinner guests!  Enjoy :) 

Caramelized Chicken with Lemon Rice
Serves 4 

For the chicken:

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon clarified butter (or extra light olive oil for high heat)

Directions
(Prepare the chicken while rice is cooking - see below) Thaw chicken breasts if frozen and pat completely dry with paper towel.  Season on both sides with sea salt and pepper (add other spices & herbs if desired).  Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon clarified butter.  Once butter is hot, add chicken breasts and cook for about 8-10 minutes per side until each side is caramelized and golden brown.  Feel free to flip more than once if desired and keep an eye on the chicken so that it does not burn on the bottom of the pan.  Add more butter or oil if needed when flipping the chicken. 

For the lemon rice:

Ingredients
¼ cup butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black or brown mustard seed
1 tsp. turmeric
3 cups cooked rice
Juice from 1 lemon

Directions
Prepare rice according to package directions or cook in a rice cooker.  After rice is cooked, melt butter in large frying pan.  Add mustard seed, salt and turmeric.  Stir until well blended and mustard seed dances in pan.  Add lemon juice and rice.  Heat and serve with caramelized chicken. 

1 comment:

Longhaired Singer said...

Great readingg