Thursday, February 12, 2015

Oatmeal Cream Pies {revisited}


I am always making new things, trying new recipes, rarely ever making the same thing twice.  These Oatmeal Cream Pies are the exception.  This is the one dessert that I have made more times than any other - the one that I make if I want to do something extra special for guests or co-workers, the one that I make for Ryan's birthday because he requests it, the one I would put on my menu for the bakery I would love to own someday. 
  In fact, I've made this dessert so much that I even blogged about it before...I mean...c'mon...who posts a recipe twice on the same blog?  Seems excessive.  But whatever, I don't care - it's just that good.  Plus, the first time was four years ago, I didn't even put the whole recipe on here, and I've made some tweaks since. 
 If you're fan of the "Little Debbie" version of this treat then you will really love these.  If you like fluffy marshmallows, sweet brown sugary oatmeal, subtle hints of molasses, and oh yeah, if you like things in sandwich form...you will like these.
It's always tricky making sure that I have an even amount of cookies to make the cookie sandwiches, but Ryan is always quick to remedy an odd number and I'm always quick to object.  I get protective of my cookies - I'll admit.  But Ryan also gets protective and never wants me to bring treats to work so I have to find a balance. :) 
 I should really stop blogging about things that we've already eaten all up.  Now I really want an Oatmeal Cream Pie...ugh.  I guess I'll just have to make them again soon!

Oatmeal Cream Pies

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour 
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats 

Cream Filling:
2 tsp. very hot water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening (this is one of the few times I use shortening but I wouldn't substitute butter for this)
1/3 cup powdered sugar (heaping if you want it a little sweeter)
3/4 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.

In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add in eggs, beating after each. Finally beat in molasses and vanilla.

Add to the flour mixture to creamed mixture and beat until just blended; mix in the oats with a wooden spoon.

Drop dough by tablespoons on parchment lined sheets, with plenty of space in between.  They will spread out and if you want to get more bang for your buck because there will be two cookies used for every cream pie, you could make them fairly small.
 
Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until just starting to brown around the edges. Try not to overcook so make sure to check after 10 minutes and add more time if needed. Let sit on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

While the cookies bake prepare the filling. In small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water. Set aside and allow this to cool.

Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl; mix on high until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.

Add the cooled salt water and mix well. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.

Enjoy and try not to eat them all in one sitting....

Recipe adapted from Back to the Cutting Board

No comments: